Keeping Hallowe’en Safe for Everyone
Hallowe’en is one of the most fun times of the year for kids (& many adults!). Here are 7 “trick or treat” tips to keep everyone safe:
1. Remind children to walk, not run, across the street and to watch carefully for cars turning or reversing out of driveways.
2. If not with parents, be sure kids go out in a group and stay together.
3. Dress appropriately for the weather but wear light coloured clothes and carry a flashlight and/or use reflective materials.
4. Whenever possible, it’s better to wear makeup than masks so as not to interfere with vision.
5. Parents – Inspect all treats carefully for tampering. If suspicious, call police.
6. Drivers – Most popular time for trick or treating is from 5:30 – 9:00 so drive more slowly and be extra cautious.
7. Pet owners – Chocolate can make your pet very sick and even be lethal so be sure to put all treats out of reach. And watch the glow sticks: although the liquid is non-toxic, it could upset their systems if chewed and the plastic could cause intestinal problems as well.
Following a few simple tips could ensure that everyone has a safe, fun-filled night.